Tuesday, March 8, 2011

And so Lent begins...

I wrote the e-mail-turned-first-blog-entry below as a reply to a message my sister Katy sent me containing a couple excerpts she came across recently. 

The excerpts were:

"Now’s the time for some serious mind control. Instead of worrying about bad things that might happen, get busy trying to create the kind of future you want. The best insurance policy for tomorrow is to make the most productive use of today."

And...

"These suggestions probably sound very familiar – maybe even trite – to the point that we don’t take them seriously. Take exercise for example. Study after study proves that this is Mother Nature’s number one treatment for stress and tension. It truly is the "magic bullet." But too many of us just don’t want to go through the drill of daily exercise….So rather than carry on about how others are failing to lower our stress level, let’s just make sure we’re doing what we ourselves can do…Invest thirty minutes in vigorous physical exercise, three to five times per week. Work up a sweat."

And so my reply went....

From: Abby Strasser
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:59 AM
To: Strasser, Katy
Subject: RE:

Love it all! And I have been thinking about this all morning. Rocket & Teresa were talking about Lent, and instead of giving anything up, I’m going to add health/happiness to my life every day, in ways including but not limited to:

- Eating tons of fruit and vegetables. These are all grown from God’s earth and gifts that should be taken advantage of.
- Reading daily devotionals every morning and living the thoughts- I signed up for Our Daily Bread today.
- Working out- whether it’s kickboxing, walking Brooksie, etc. I should do something active every day, not only for health reasons, but because there are millions of people that would give anything to go for a walk outside, etc. but can’t because of illness, circumstances, etc.

So my goal for Lent, and the rest of my life, is to celebrate being healthy and happy- two gifts that should never go unappreciated!

I may have just unintentionally created my first blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment