Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mind the Mind

Last week I spent a lunch break sitting outside Starbucks doing a crossword puzzle. I forgot how much I enjoy them; I used to do one every day. Sometimes I hid them under a notebook during class, and other times I would save it until I got home and could enjoy a quiet hour focusing on the clues and fitting the answers into the puzzle. My recent outing reminded me not only of how much I love crosswords puzzles, but of how great it feels to actually hold a pencil and paper, and read words and focus my thoughts anywhere besides a computer screen. I felt refreshed after my break, and I even completed the entire crossword (okay it was only Wednesday’s puzzle, but I’m still proud!).

Since revisiting my love for crosswords, I’ve happened across an article in Real Simple about tips to feel energized during different stages of the day. One of the recommendations for the afternoon is to take a break and do something to utilize your thinking skills; this could be making a to-do list, balancing your check book, or what I prefer, doing a crossword. I highly recommend taking this tip, not just to feel refreshed throughout the day, but as part of a well-balanced healthy life. Exercising your mind is just as or even more important than working out your body.

Also, a suggestion from me: enjoy this mind satisfying task on something that doesn’t end in ‘phone,’ ‘pad,’ or ‘pod.’ If you’re into Sudoku (something I will never ever master or probably attempt again), buy a book of puzzles. If you’re a list maker, grab a pen and paper and have at it. I know this may seem like kickin’ it old school for some, but your eyes and mind will thank you for turning away from a glowing screen for just a short while.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Along those same lines, I went and opened my library account over a lunch break last week and was so excited about that even. I love the library. And I love holding a book. I love everything about the action of sitting down to read. Books just feel good in my hands, and you know what I always say, the bigger the better. J No seriously though, don’t you love picking up a big book like Mark Twain or East of Eden and just opening it for the first time. Or the way it feels when you are almost done with it. I “love it all.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know I shouldn't take this personal, being the one who is constantly surrounded by my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro, but I guess that is the purpose of blogs. To share a unique outlook on a subject.

    You are a great writer and so positive. I have to admit, I love simplicity too, we just define it differently. To know that I literally have any information I want at my fingertips is empowering.

    I find that my peace and quiet is best achieved when I exercise in silence. Taking a walk to take in the air, the sun, society in general. Observing cars as they drive by, smelling the fresh cut grass ... it's true, you can 'love it all'

    ReplyDelete