Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Man, A Plan, A Proposal

On Friday, May 6th, at 6:45 AM, my boyfriend of five years, Shane Hendren, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!!

Shane had made breakfast, let me get completely ready for work, and even let me get into my car in the garage before he called me back inside and got down on one knee. I was completely surprised!

That moment in the early morning of a beautiful Spring day is honestly the most special moment of my life so far. Witnessing the man I’ve loved for five years (and secretly loved for two years before that), get down on one knee, nervous and shaking, asking me to spend the rest of my life with him is a moment I will never forget and can’t actually put into words.

In the past few years, quite a few of my closest friends, including my amazing little sister, have gotten engaged and married to their wonderful significant others. I have been thrilled and differently emotional with the news of each one. As one can imagine, during these celebrations it was inevitable that Shane and I receive inquiries as to when it would be our time. While most had good intentions, some people were a little too direct and no matter how it was approached, Shane kept calm and collected and would only say, “I have a plan.” Boy, did he!

After accepting his proposal, he told me that arrangements had been made and I had the day off of work. We celebrated with mimosas and he surprised me again with announcing he had a weekend getaway to Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO set up for us.

Also in the surprise plan was a stop in Springfield, MO - the town where everything began for us. We walked around our old college campus and drove by our old dorms and apartments. The entire weekend was a dream. I could go into detail about how wonderful the resort was, and how Shane had planned everything down to the fine wine he brought for the event, but I’ll keep most of the details just for us. We really disappeared into our own happiness and celebration. It was perfect and I couldn't be happier!

I feel incredibly blessed and emotional, not only to be engaged, but with the outpouring of love and support our friends and families have been sharing with us as we take this thrilling step. In fact, our friends and families have been supportive throughout our entire relationship, which hasn’t exactly been by the book. But again, never have I felt a lack of love or support from the people closest to us. And to quote my fiancĂ©, “Toeachizone.” I am so thankful how our relationship has evolved down our own path, I love being engaged, and I love thinking about spending the rest of our lives together. What can I say? Right now, I’m truly loving it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment